ACLS' Education Officer, Enya Gannon, provides free face-to face and online workshops for community language school teachers. Topics include: Planning for Teaching and Learning; Digital Storytelling; Structuring Lessons to Maximise Learning; Classroom Management and more...
COMMUNITY LANGUAGE SCHOOLS PROGRAM INDUCTION WORKSHOP
Tuesday 19th March 2024, 6 pm to 8.30 pm
This induction workshop provides important information about how to administer and run your community language school in accordance with the Community Language Schools Program's guidelines and best practices.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
• Grants, funding applications, database
• The Minister's Awards for Excellence
• COVID 19 requirements
• Record-keeping and reporting requirements
• Program contacts and organisation
• Professional development and training
• Relationships with host schools and Community Use Agreements
• Programming for learning
• Incident reporting
• Working with Children Check and Annual Assurance
• Communication - protocols and practice
TEACHING WITH PICTURE BOOKS
The power of using stories in the classroom is no secret. Stories often hold a strange and magical quality that can interest and engage learners in a way that few other materials and methods have.
In this workshop we will explore the rich potential storybooks offer for language learning and how to choose a suitable storybook for your class. We will review some simple story telling techniques and some tried and tested pre, during and post reading activities that you can use to engage and teach your students in meaningful ways.